AAdvantage® program updates
Introducing the new, simpler AAdvantage® program
Starting in 2022, you'll have only one status metric to track: Loyalty Points. You'll also have more ways to earn AAdvantage® status, including flying, using an AAdvantage® credit card for purchases or spending with an AAdvantage® partner.
Keep in mind:
- Activity in January and February 2022 will count toward earning both 2022 and 2023 status – 2 extra months to earn status for both years.
- Your Loyalty Points will start to appear in your account the first week of March.
Expanding complimentary upgrades
AAdvantage Gold® and AAdvantage Platinum® members now have more opportunities to upgrade from Main / Premium Economy to the next class of service. Starting with flights on March 2, 2022, we’re expanding complimentary upgrades to all purchased, published fares on American within North America.*
All complimentary upgrades for existing reservations will be available by March 2.
- We’ll automatically request the upgrade if everyone in your booking is eligible for a complimentary upgrade – no action needed from you.
- Your upgrade may be cleared as early as 24 hours before departure for AAdvantage Gold® and 48 hours for AAdvantage Platinum® members.
- Upgrades within North America remain complimentary for AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum Pro® members.
The future of companion and 500-mile upgrades
Later in 2022, all AAdvantage® status members will be able to enjoy a complimentary upgrade for 1 companion traveling on the same flight within North America. When that happens, we’ll convert all available 500-mile upgrades to 250 Loyalty Points each. This addition of Loyalty Points helps you reach AAdvantage® status faster.
Simplifying your upgrade experience
You'll continue to be added to the airport upgrade list if your upgrade request hasn’t cleared before check-in. We’re beginning to roll out an enhanced upgrade experience in 2022 for status members at the airport: Upgrades will automatically clear 40 minutes before your flight departure if seats are available. This will apply to all airports within North America. Once your upgrade clears, you’ll be notified on the app or on the gate monitor.
With automatic clearance, you'll have a more consistent experience and should know the status of your upgrade request sooner.
Be sure you’ve checked in early so you’re on the upgrade list. If you aren’t on the list before the automatic clearance, you’ll be prioritized after the airport upgrade list has cleared.
*You can use 500-mile upgrades to pay for travel companions who do not hold AAdvantage® status.
Systemwide and mileage award upgrades
If you and a companion are waitlisted for the same type of upgrade, you can sponsor them to receive your priority level. You’ll stay prioritized together, even at the airport.
Companion and sponsor qualifications:
- Book on the same flight (same or separate reservations)
- Use the same upgrade type (systemwide or mileage award upgrades)
Companions don’t have to be AAdvantage® members; the upgrade can be deducted from any account.
To sponsor a companion for a new or existing trip, contact Reservations.
Complimentary and 500-mile upgrades
Today, you and another AAdvantage® status member can be prioritized together on the 500-mile upgrade waitlist. If the upgrade isn’t cleared before you get to the airport, you are prioritized based on individual status.
Now, you can ask an agent to reconnect you on the list at the airport. If available, the 500-mile upgrades will be deducted from the sponsor’s account.
Upgrade requests will be prioritized by AAdvantage® status level, then:
- Type of upgrade
- 12-month Rolling Loyalty Points
If the upgrade type and 12-month Rolling Loyalty Points value are the same, we’ll look at the booking code then date / time of the request to determine prioritization.
Type of upgrade
Before you get to the airport, requests for systemwide and mileage award upgrades are processed independently from 500-mile upgrade requests.
At the airport, upgrades requested will be prioritized in this order:
- Systemwide and mileage award upgrades
- 500-mile upgrades on purchased tickets
- 500-mile upgrades on award tickets
12-month Rolling Loyalty Points
Your 12-month Rolling Loyalty Points value is updated daily and is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) Loyalty Points, which is used to track your progress toward AAdvantage® status.
Rolling Loyalty Points are based on:
- Loyalty Points earned in the 12 last months
- Loyalty Points earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage® Aviator® MasterCard® cards
Booking code priority:
- From Business to First (for systemwide and mileage award upgrades only): J, R, D, I, C
- From Main Cabin to the next class: W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T